Nonimmigrant Visas

The following is the summary of nonimmigrant visa categories most frequently handled by our office. For more detailed information provided by relevant authorities, please click on the links. For consultation regarding procedures, qualifications and required documents, please contact our office and schedule an appointment with one of our attorneys. Please report any links that do not connect you to the intended website. We will do our best to correct them as soon as possible

Temporary visitors for business/ Temporary visitors for pleasure

The “visitor” visa is a nonimmigrant visa for persons desiring to enter the United States temporarily for business (B-1) and for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2). Depending on the purpose of visit and need for the length of stay, visitors are permitted to stay up to 6 months. It is important to note that visitors are not permitted to accept any form of employment during their stay in the United States. Therefore, one should apply for a change of nonimmigrant status if the purpose of visit changes during his or her stay in the United States. Also, special circumstances and/or important considerations may warrant an extension of stay.

Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors

E visas are for foreign Treaty Traders (E-1) and Treaty Investors (E-2) to carry on their businesses in the Unites States if their home country has an appropriate treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States. If applying for an E visa through an U.S. Embassy abroad, one may obtain a visa valid for up to 5 years, and be permitted to stay in the United States for 2 years each time he or she enters the United States with a valid visa. If applying for change of nonimmigrant status through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, one may obtain an E-2 status valid up to 2 years. As long as the business entity maintains its operations and basic conditions for eligibility are fulfilled, one may continuously extend his or her status. Spouses of E-1 or E-2 visa holders are eligible to apply for employment authorization once admitted into the United States.

Academic Students

F-1 visas are for foreign students who seek to pursue language training programs at U.S. institutions or academic studies at colleges, universities, conservatories, or academic high schools in the U.S. M-1 visas are for nonimmigrants who seek to pursue nonacademic or vocational studies/training.

Specialty Occupations

H-1B visas are for foreign professionals with specialized knowledge with at least a Bachelor’s or equivalent degree. H-1B specialty workers may be employed up to 6 years in the United States in their specialized occupation. H-1B is a nonimmigrant classification allowed to have an immigrant intent; thus, one may pursue permanent residence while working for his or her sponsor in the United States.

Exchange Visitors

J-1 visas are for persons coming to the United States in an approved exchange program. J-1 programs often cover students, research scholars, business trainees, teachers, professors, foreign medical graduates, specialists, international visitors, government visitors, camp counselors and au pairs. In order to apply for a J-1 visa, a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status (SEVIS DS-2019) from the exchange program sponsor is required.

Fiance(e) and Unmarried Children under 21 of a US Citizen
Spouse and Unmarried Children under 21 of a US Citizen

A fiance(e) of a U.S. citizen may apply for a K-1 visa. Unmarried children under 21 of the fiance(e) are issued K-2 visas. The marriage must take place within 90 days of the fiance(e) entering the United States. K-3/K-4 visas are for U.S. citizens’ spouses and unmarried children under 21. The admission in K-3/K-4 visa status allows the spouse or child(ren) to complete processing for permanent residence while in the United States. The purpose of K-3 and K-4 visas is to reunite families who have been or could be subject to a long period of separation during the process of immigrating to the United States. In order for the U.S. citizen’s step-child(ren) to be eligible for K-4 visa(s), the marriage with the foreign spouse must have taken place before the 18th birthday of the step-child(ren).

Intracompany Transferee

L-1 visas are for intracompany transferees who are coming temporarily to perform services either in a managerial or executive capacity (L-1A) or in a specialized knowledge position (L-1B) for a company with a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate in the United States. The employee must have been employed abroad for the corporation, firm, or other legal entity on a full-time basis for at least one continuous year within the last three-year period to qualify. The U.S. employer must provide evidence pertaining to the qualifying relationship (ownership and control) with the foreign employer. The maximum period of stay in L-1A status is 7 years, and 5 years for L-1B status. L-1 is a nonimmigrant classification allowed to have an immigrant intent; thus, one may pursue permanent residence while working for his or her sponsor in the United States. Spouses of E-1 or E-2 visa holders are eligible to apply for employment authorization once admitted into the United States.

Extraordinary ability in Sciences, Arts, Education, Business, or Athletics

O-1 visas are for foreign nationals of extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. The artist’s or athlete’s support staff is given O-2, and the O-1 visa holder’s spouse and/or child(ren) are given O-3. The maximum period of stay in O is 3 years.

Athletes and Entertainers

P visas are for foreign individual/team athletes, entertainment groups (P-1); artists and entertainers in reciprocal exchange programs (P-2); and, artists and entertainers in culturally unique programs (P-3). Spouses and children of P-1/P-2/P-3 are given P-4 visas.

International Cultural Exchange Visitors

Q-1 visas are for participants in an international cultural exchange program approved by the Attorney General for the purpose of providing practical training, employment, and to share the history, culture, and traditions of the alien’s home country. Unlike J-1 visa, SEVIS DS-2019 is not required for Q-1.

Religious Workers

In order to be eligible for R-1, the applicant (religious worker) must prove that he or she has been a member of a religious denomination having a nonprofit religious organization in the United States for at least two years immediately prior to the application date. The U.S. petitioning organization must prove that it is a nonprofit religious organization eligible for tax-exempt status pursuant to Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, and must demonstrate that it can and will provide for all of the R-1 beneficiary’s financial and physical needs. The traditional religious occupations qualify for R-1 visas include but are not limited to, pastors, priests, monks, nuns, evangelists, and missionaries. The maximum period of stay in R-1 visa status is 5 years (3 years upon initial admission, and extension for an additional 2 years). R-1 visas may be applied through a U.S. Embassy abroad or through the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services after having been admitted in another visa status. At the time of application, the U.S. petitioning organization must provide a detail job description of the traditional religious position being offered and the beneficiary’s qualifications. R-1visa holders may pursue permanent residence as a Special Immigrant? Religious Worker if requirements are fulfilled.

Trade visas for Canadians and Mexicans

TN visas are for nationals of Canada (TN-1) and Mexico (TN-2) to pursue employment in professional occupations in the United States under the provisions of the North American Free Trade Agreement. TN employees must possess the credentials required. The validity of admission is 1 year, and can be extended on an annual basis without any limit on the maximum period of stay.

Spouse and minor child(ren) of an LPR who is the principal beneficiary of a family-based petition (Form I-130) which was filed prior to December 21, 2000, and has been pending for at least three years

V visas are for spouses and children (under the age of 21) of permanent residents who is the principal beneficiary of a family-based petition (Form I-130) which was filed prior to December 21, 2000, and has been pending for at least three years. The spouse or child can remain in the United States while they wait until they are able to apply for lawful permanent residence status, or for an immigrant visa, instead of having to wait outside the United States.

Reach Out to our Law Firm

All Consultation is Confidential


    My family got Green Cards and citizenship through the best lawyer Jane Chung. She guided me correctly and especially the interview with Jane worked very very helpful. I just followed her advice. I really appreciate her hard work and efforts. Additionally, I am thankful to Lydia Lee and Sally Lee. They were very kind and helped me a lot. Please, all of you, stay safe and healthy.
    Sang Cho
    I strongly recommend Law Offices of Jane Chung for immigration related matter. Staff members are so kind and professional. They always responded to my questions and sent status updates timely.
    Steve Chung
    Amazing team! They made me feel very comfortable throughout the entire process, answering all the (many!) questions I had, giving me peace of mind. Special shout out to Sarah Lee, who has been wonderful to work with. Thank you!
    jay park
    Lydia Lee was one of the best people who helped to get a green card. Without their help couldn’t be able to get my green card. It was 8 years of a long journey to receive a green card. and I appreciate her hard work and efforts.
    Heather Soo Hyun Shin
    I had all my needs met with the service provided by Jane Chung and her team. They are well organized and efficient. I recommend to everyone!
    Antonio Ko
    You can trust here and I guarantee that they are very professional.
    Be Humble B
    We would like to thank the entire Jane Chung Law team for all your professionalism and diligence throughout our Permanent Resident application processes, the high level of service, follow up as well as detailed planning and documentation was very impressive and highly appreciated.
    Ross Gatta
    Their law service is superior and accurate. Thanks to Jane Chung Law Offices, I got approval of permanent residence. If you are having hard time in staying in the US legally, I'd recommend to get consultation from Jane Chung.
    Haerim Kang
    My green card case through Jane Chung Law Office was so perfect and professional! Manager Eunice is so attentive and gets into so much detail when explaining the status/ situaion of your case! She was pleasant to work with and loved it!
    Julie kim
    Thank you very much. You listened to me like my job, and you worked like my job ... I was impressed ~
    J K